A $35,000 post-closing cushion sounds workable—but is it enough?

eva_property

Homeowner
If the inspection uncovers an urgent repair, stretching to the purchase could turn an otherwise manageable issue into a cash problem. I am looking at a 4-bed Atlanta villa priced at about $1,310,000, and my current estimate leaves $35,000 in cash once the deposit and closing costs are covered.

I am unsure how much of that sum is genuinely available until I account for the first mortgage payment, insurance and its deductible, any association charges, and the cost of moving. My instinct is to protect the emergency fund first, wait for the inspection before setting a repair allowance, and buy only basic furniture at the start—for example, a bed can be necessary while furnishing every spare room is not.

Would that leave too little flexibility at this price point? I am willing to lower the purchase budget if the cushion only works when nothing unexpected happens.
 
I would keep most of it away from house spending: perhaps $20,000 as an emergency fund, $5,000 for moving, $7,000 for urgent repairs and $3,000 for basic furniture. The exact split depends on your monthly outgoings, but furniture is the easiest category to delay. At this purchase price, $35,000 is not an especially generous cushion.
 
Does the $35,000 remain after allowing for the first mortgage payment, insurance costs and any service charges or association dues? Also check the insurance deductible you selected. Those items matter more than a neat four-way split. I’d wait for the inspection before deciding whether the remaining cash is adequate.
 
I’m not convinced fixed buckets help yet. One significant inspection finding could make a $7,000 repair allowance meaningless, while an uneventful report could leave it untouched. Identify what must be done immediately for safety or to prevent deterioration, then reconsider the price or buy below your current target if preserving the emergency fund would otherwise be difficult. A 4-bed property does not need to be fully furnished on day one.
 
That’s fair—the figures I suggested are a planning exercise, not spending targets. The important separation is between money that can be used for the move and repairs, and emergency savings that stay untouched. Before committing, I’d replace estimates with an actual moving quote, the inspection findings, the insurance deductible and confirmed recurring charges.
 
Make a simple cash timeline from the week before closing through the first mortgage payment. Include closing adjustments, moving, utility setup, any immediate inspection items, insurance and service charges if applicable. Then stress-test it with one unplanned repair and one ordinary personal emergency. If that scenario uses nearly all $35,000, lowering the purchase budget is the safer answer; furniture can be added room by room.
 
Back
Top