Paying $970,000 for a 1-bed Austin apartment on projected rent of $2,919 a month feels difficult to justify, but rejecting it on the advertised 3.6% gross yield alone also seems too simple. The building appears well kept, although that says little about its finances.
My figures allow for vacancies, management, tenant changes, ordinary repairs and less frequent expensive work. What I do not yet trust are the unit-specific property tax and insurance numbers, the association charges, and the adequacy of the building reserves. A common-area project or special assessment could overwhelm small savings elsewhere.
Which records would you obtain first to turn this into a credible net cash-flow calculation? Unless the verified costs are unusually low and the reserves strong, I suspect the income will not provide enough margin at this price.
My figures allow for vacancies, management, tenant changes, ordinary repairs and less frequent expensive work. What I do not yet trust are the unit-specific property tax and insurance numbers, the association charges, and the adequacy of the building reserves. A common-area project or special assessment could overwhelm small savings elsewhere.
Which records would you obtain first to turn this into a credible net cash-flow calculation? Unless the verified costs are unusually low and the reserves strong, I suspect the income will not provide enough margin at this price.