970 sq ft coastal home or similarly priced London apartment: which costs am I overlooking?

jade_details

Property investor
Established
I’m choosing between a 970 sq ft coastal home and a similarly priced apartment in London. On the information provided, the coastal home looks simpler to maintain, while the apartment appears to offer more day-to-day control but could bring larger irregular shared-building costs.

I’m modelling insurance, energy use, resale liquidity, possible tenant demand and vacancy risk. What tends to surprise people after the first year? I’ve asked for the full written statement of costs rather than relying on another verbal estimate, but I’d appreciate a practical comparison checklist.
 
The tenure and division of responsibilities could reverse your conclusion. A coastal home may have no shared-building bill, but weather exposure and responsibility for the whole exterior can make maintenance less predictable. With the apartment, establish exactly what the regular charge covers, whether reserves exist and which costs can still be billed separately.
 
Will this mainly be your home, a second home, or something you may let? Tenant demand and vacancy risk matter far more in the third case. If it is for your own use, compare travel, time spent there and the inconvenience of arranging repairs—not just the cash cost.
 
I’d split the comparison into recurring costs and irregular work. Recurring: insurance, energy, routine maintenance and any management or shared-building charge. Irregular: roof, windows, exterior fabric, communal systems and damage associated with exposure. Then ask who chooses the contractor, who controls timing, what is already planned and whether any reserve can meet it.
 
I’m not convinced the London apartment necessarily gives more control. You may control the interior, but not the timing or specification of shared work. Conversely, if the coastal home is held in a way that leaves all maintenance decisions with you, it offers more control but also puts the entire bill and workload on you. Clarifying what you mean by “control” would help.
 
Also, what exactly is the “full statement” you requested? Is it meant to show all recurring charges, insurance and irregular amounts, or is it another broad estimate in writing? The useful part is the scope: what is included, what is excluded and whether any known work sits outside the quoted total.
 
Resale liquidity should not be treated as a simple London-versus-coast question. Condition, exact location, ongoing charges, buyer pool and any restrictions can all affect it. If the apartment has shared obligations, buyers may focus on those future costs. A coastal property may appeal to a different pool but could also be more sensitive to maintenance condition and seasonal demand.
 
By “full statement” I mean a written breakdown of recurring charges and possible irregular items, including what the quoted amount does and does not cover. So far the estimates have been too verbal to compare properly.

The control point is fair. I was thinking about day-to-day upkeep inside the apartment, not control over communal work. I’ll separate those in the model. Letting is not the primary plan, but I want to understand tenant demand and vacancy if circumstances change.
 
That distinction helps. I’d put three columns against every cost: who decides, who arranges the work and who ultimately pays. The apartment may reduce your direct management workload while limiting your decisions. The coastal home may do the opposite. A low routine workload is not the same thing as low financial exposure.
 
Don’t estimate energy from the 970 sq ft figure alone. Heating system, construction, insulation, exposure, occupancy pattern and how much of the property is actually heated can matter more than floor area. Use the same occupancy assumptions for both properties; otherwise the comparison will quietly favour whichever one you imagine using less.
 
Zoe, I’d extend your control categories to include timing. Being able to choose a repair is useful, but it also means you cannot postpone essential work indefinitely without affecting condition and resale. In a shared building, the frustrating risk is the reverse: work may happen on a timetable you did not choose.
 
Once the written breakdown arrives, model three versions rather than one average: an ordinary year, a year containing a substantial repair or shared bill, and a year with vacancy if you let it. Keep insurance separate unless it is clearly included elsewhere, so it is not counted twice. That should expose which option is affordable under stress, not merely cheaper in a smooth year.
 
Distance is another missing fact. If the coastal home is not convenient for you to reach, even straightforward maintenance can require more coordination and repeat visits. An apartment may shift common-area work to building management, but that replaces hands-on effort with correspondence, approvals and less control. Put a value on your time as well as invoices.
 
I would wait for the written breakdown before deciding that either property is simpler. Apply identical questions to both: what is recurring, what can arrive unexpectedly, who arranges it, how much control you retain, and what happens during vacancy. The better choice is probably the one whose worst plausible combination of cost and workload you can tolerate—not the one with the lowest verbal estimate.
 
Back
Top