I would prefer the option whose costs I can plan and control, but neither property makes that easy. I am weighing an 80 m² Berlin retail unit against a similarly priced four-bedroom villa. The shop has fewer obvious maintenance demands, while the villa gives the owner direct say over work at the cost of taking every major bill personally.
So far I have allowed for insurance, energy, service charges, shared reserves, resale liquidity and empty periods. The harder issue is whether narrow tenant demand and a prolonged retail vacancy outweigh the villa's heavier upkeep. Which records and physical items would you examine, and which costs commonly emerge only after the first year?
So far I have allowed for insurance, energy, service charges, shared reserves, resale liquidity and empty periods. The harder issue is whether narrow tenant demand and a prolonged retail vacancy outweigh the villa's heavier upkeep. Which records and physical items would you examine, and which costs commonly emerge only after the first year?