235 m² Tokyo new-build flat or similarly priced duplex after 61 days?

sailsAndQuill

Buyer
Established
Choosing on the wrong assumption could leave me with either unexpectedly heavy building charges or a duplex whose maintenance demands more cash and time than I can comfortably give it.

I have spent 61 days comparing a 235 m² new-build flat with a similarly priced duplex in Tokyo. The flat shifts some responsibilities to the building but adds management fees and shared reserves. The duplex gives me more direct control, though roof, exterior and equipment costs may arrive unevenly.

I am checking lease terms, insurance boundaries, energy use, resale prospects, tenant demand and vacancy. For the flat, which documents would show the current reserve position, planned works and how future shortfalls are funded? For the duplex, I am thinking of pricing a maintenance schedule rather than relying on a general estimate. I would particularly like to identify the costs that a first-year budget might conceal.
 
Separate predictable shared costs from irregular costs you would carry directly. For the flat, request the management budget, reserve arrangements, planned works and an exact breakdown of what the building insurance covers. For the duplex, price a maintenance calendar for the exterior, roof and major equipment rather than assuming control means savings. At 235 m², compare energy assumptions room by room, not just by property type.
 
That predictable-versus-irregular split is helpful. I had been comparing annual totals, which hides the risk of several duplex expenses arriving together. For the flat, I’ll look beyond the current monthly amount and ask how future works are funded. I’m less sure how to assess resale: should I focus mainly on the unusually large floor area, or on the running costs a future buyer would inherit?
 
Before resale analysis, clarify exactly what “duplex” means in this comparison and what is actually owned or shared. A two-level unit within a managed building can have many of the same reserve and common-area issues as the flat. A more independent property is different. The land or lease position, common elements and responsibility for the structure need to be compared on matching terms.
 
The 235 m² size may matter more for liquidity than the flat-versus-duplex label. A larger home can suit fewer buyers or tenants, while its insurance, energy and service costs remain visible to them. I would model resale under a longer marketing period and, if letting is a fallback, include vacancy rather than assuming tenant demand will absorb the size.
 
I’d build one worksheet with three columns: flat, duplex, and “not yet confirmed.” Include purchase terms, lease position, shared charges, reserve contributions, insurance boundaries, utilities, routine maintenance, major replacements, letting costs and time spent managing problems.

Then run a normal year, a year with major work, and a vacancy year. The uncertainty column is important here: if a cost responsibility cannot yet be assigned to you or the building, the headline price comparison is premature.
 
Before choosing, mortiz needs to decide whether letting is a real fallback or only a theoretical one. Giving tenant demand the same weight as day-to-day suitability could steer an owner-occupier toward a compromise that is easier to rent but worse to live in.

I would first compare the two properties as long-term homes. Only then would I run a separate letting scenario if that option is genuinely likely. The other check is the meaning of “lease length” in each listing: get the property interest and remaining term clarified in writing before placing the figures in the same worksheet.
 
Agreed that the intended use should come first. The next step is probably two versions of the worksheet: one for long-term occupation and one for letting only if that is a realistic contingency. I would also obtain written clarification of the duplex structure and both properties’ insurance and maintenance boundaries. Until those gaps are closed, the apparent simplicity of the flat and control of the duplex are assumptions rather than established advantages.
 
Back
Top