205 m² retail unit or similarly priced coastal home in Bogotá?

SageChalk

First-time buyer
Established
I’m comparing a 205 m² retail unit with a similarly priced coastal home in Bogotá. The retail unit looks simpler to maintain, while the home offers more control but potentially more irregular costs.

My model includes lease length, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. I’m less confident about tenant demand, vacancy, management workload and any shared-building reserves. Which costs or responsibilities tend to become apparent only after the first year? Nothing looks disastrous individually; it’s the accumulation of loose ends that worries me.
 
For the retail unit, I’d focus less on routine maintenance and more on what happens between tenants. Vacancy, marketing time and uncertainty over who pays for work needed by the next occupier can quickly change the comparison. Also establish whether the unit shares a building and, if so, how reserves and major works are handled.

Is the coastal home detached, or part of a managed complex? That materially changes the workload comparison.
 
I wouldn’t assume the home necessarily means more management. A stable home with straightforward upkeep could be less demanding than a retail unit whose tenant leaves unexpectedly. The difference is that home costs may be irregular, while retail vacancy can interrupt income and still leave ongoing expenses. Resale liquidity also depends on the depth of the buyer pool, not simply whether the property is residential or commercial.
 
The shared-building point is the gap in my notes. I haven’t confirmed the reserve position for the retail unit or whether the home’s arrangements cover major exterior work. I was treating maintenance as a property-level issue when some of it may actually depend on the wider building or complex. I’ll get those details before comparing projected returns.
 
Put both options into the same month-by-month stress test rather than relying on average annual costs. For the retail unit, model a vacant period, tenant turnover and continued shared charges. For the home, model a large repair, higher energy use and extra management time. Then compare three exit cases: quick sale at a compromise, normal marketing, and a long wait. The better choice is the one you can still carry comfortably when two problems occur together.
 
Back
Top