Offering 5% below asking on a country home in Marrakech — sensible or too aggressive?

DirectCanvas

First-time buyer
I could open at the full MAD 3,316,000 and seek repair credits later, or start 5% lower at MAD 3,150,200 and risk the seller dismissing me. Neither route feels safe without better evidence from completed sales.

The Marrakech country home has been on the market for 28 days. Its condition suggests some work, while nearby listings are priced around the same level. I can show proof that the purchase is financeable and be flexible on completion. How would you present the lower figure without turning the negotiation into a list of faults? I also want to keep inspection, appraisal and finance protections, particularly where my deposit could be exposed.
 
Five percent is a normal negotiating distance, not an insult. Present MAD 3,150,200 as a considered offer supported by the condition and uncertain completed-sale evidence. Emphasise your financing and flexibility rather than listing every defect.
 
The detail that changes this for me is whether the work is cosmetic or essential. Paint, finishes and an old kitchen can be priced into an offer and tackled later; defects involving the roof, water supply, electrics or structure can leave the buyer committed to a much larger bill.

I would keep the 5% opening figure simple for now, but make any final position depend on the inspection. If it finds only decoration, there may be room to compromise. If it identifies major systems or structural work, the price needs to reflect that or the buyer should retain the option to walk away.
 
I would not waive a technical inspection or broader due diligence condition. A country home can have issues that are invisible during a viewing, and clean financing does not make those risks disappear.
 
Counterpoint: 28 days is not very long, so I would not use time on market as leverage. The seller may simply reject 5% below if comparable asking prices are close.
 
Attach credible financing proof, with unnecessary personal details removed, and give the offer a clear but reasonable expiry. An open-ended offer leaves you exposed while the seller waits for someone else.
 
Decide now whether you want a lower price or repair credits after inspection. Asking for both automatically can make a clean-looking offer feel less clean.
 
The missing completed comparables matter more than the asking listings. Ask whoever is advising you locally what reliable evidence is available, and compare condition, land and access rather than headline price alone.
 
If financing involves a valuation, address the appraisal gap explicitly. Do not promise to cover an unlimited shortfall between the lender’s valuation and the agreed price.
 
Also define deposit exposure before signing anything. The contract should say what happens to the deposit if financing, valuation, inspection or title-related due diligence fails. Local drafting matters here.
 
Keep the rationale to three points: current condition, limited evidence of completed prices, and your ability to proceed cleanly. Avoid claiming the property is overpriced when you cannot prove that.
 
Thanks. I have not yet priced the updating properly, which confirms I should keep the technical protection. I’ll ask for clearer information on the work, seller priorities and available completed-sale evidence before submitting MAD 3,150,200.
 
That is sensible. I would ask whether the seller values speed, a particular date, or certainty more than the last dirham. Your flexible completion only helps if it solves their actual problem.
 
When you ask about motivation, keep it neutral. “Are there terms besides price that would help?” usually gathers more useful information than pressing for the reason for sale.
 
I disagree with waiting for perfect comparable evidence; it may never appear. Set your own maximum from the home’s condition and alternatives, then let the seller’s response reveal how realistic the asking price is.
 
Yes, but the maximum should include a repair reserve. Otherwise a 5% discount can disappear quickly once updating starts.
 
Felix, make the first offer complete rather than tentative: price, financing evidence, proposed timing, conditions and expiry. A bare number invites the seller to focus only on the discount.
 
Would you actually walk away at MAD 3,150,200, or is that only your opener? Work out your ceiling privately before the counteroffer arrives.
 
I would not provide a long defect list before inspection. Mention that the price reflects visible updating, but save specific repair negotiations for evidence from the technical assessment.
 
The response deadline should be firm without looking theatrical. Allow enough time for the seller to consider the full package, then state that the offer lapses unless extended in writing.
 
Back
Top