Yara’s distinction is the important one. If this is mainly housing for a student, flexibility has a real value that an affordability calculation can miss. I slightly disagree that a long expected holding period automatically makes proceeding comfortable, though. Paying more than intended can...
The local board is useful for context. The overlooked risk is treating its market figures as a complete investment model.
I would first collect whatever completed-price evidence is available, keeping acquisition costs separate so the comparisons stay clean. Then test the same properties against...
If it remains affordable after including financing, recurring ownership costs and a repair buffer, I would put more weight on how long you expect to need it. A long holding period can absorb more market noise. If the student may leave Vancouver soon, waiting or renting preserves flexibility...
The missing facts are the lease renewal date, how closely those comparables match this townhouse, and whether any of the maintenance affects the tenant’s use of the property. I also wouldn’t assume retention means keeping rent below market indefinitely.
Estimate the likely vacancy period and...
Build one table with identical loan amount, amortization and payment frequency for every lender. Include the rate, all fees, monthly payment, balance remaining at your chosen comparison dates, and the stated method for calculating an early exit. Keep the loan-to-value tier identical too...
For sequencing, resolve moisture and water-entry issues first, then electrical and plumbing rough work, followed by any required inspections before closing walls. Flooring, cabinetry and paint come later. Long-lead materials should be identified early, but final dimensions for fitted items are...
That’s fair. I’d still retain a percentage reserve, but only after assigning actual amounts to the major risks. The contractor should separate “electrical checks” from any resulting repairs, and likewise distinguish visible plumbing work from concealed drain or supply problems.
Also confirm...
I would test the budget with a 15% contingency, increasing it toward 20% if there will be no exploratory openings before work starts. Keep that money separate from finish allowances.
Ask each contractor to list exclusions for demolition, disposal, wall and floor repairs after services are...
Gabriel’s point changes the emphasis: maintenance frequency is not the same as management simplicity. I’d price the expected tenant fit before deciding which physical asset looks easier. A property needing fewer repairs can still consume more time if access, mixed occupancies or shared decisions...
Before choosing, I’d build two separate five-year cash-flow scenarios rather than one comparison table: normal occupancy, then an adverse case with vacancy plus a major repair in the same year.
For the shared building, examine the reserve balance, planned work, recent spending and how costs are...