I’d anchor on the completed sale and use the three listings mainly to understand the current competition. For floor area, don’t multiply every extra square foot by the overall price per square foot; additional space often has a different marginal value. For condition, itemise the dated elements...
I’m comparing a 2,260 sq ft apartment with a similarly priced warehouse in San Francisco. The apartment appears easier to maintain, but shared-building reserves and assessments could create costs I can’t fully control. The warehouse offers more autonomy, while potentially bringing higher...
Before choosing an amount, confirm whether the tenancy is fixed-term or month-to-month and read the lease provisions on changes and notice. Arizona and any applicable Phoenix requirements should be checked in their current form rather than assumed from general US practice. The effective date...
The 111-day figure surprised me enough to reconsider waiting. My July 2026 notes cover condos between $900,000 and $1,350,000 in the two San Francisco neighbourhoods we are considering, but I cannot tell whether that duration reflects negotiable sellers or a few awkward properties distorting a...
There is also a communication point: ask whether the tenant intends to stay before anchoring the discussion at the top asking figure. If they are already uncertain, flexibility may retain them. If they want stability, an agreed moderate adjustment may suit both sides.
The practical decision point comes after the written repair estimates and property-specific insurance figure arrive. If paying the urgent items would push the emergency fund below the level needed for your essential expenses, that supports renegotiating, choosing a cheaper home or walking away...
The inspection report changed how I viewed the budget. A 4-bed detached home at about $385,000 initially seemed to leave plenty of room, but after the deposit and estimated closing costs I would have around $40,000 in cash.
Most findings seem manageable rather than structural, yet several could...
What financing assumptions are you using—down payment, rate and term? Work out the unlevered property return first, then cash-on-cash after debt. A deal can look acceptable without financing yet produce little or negative cash flow once monthly payments are included.
I’d use four separate buckets: untouchable emergency savings, known moving and setup costs, inspection work that must be done promptly, and optional purchases. Do not transfer unused money from the first bucket to furniture. If the repair estimates come in low, you can furnish gradually after...
Also reconcile the $42,000 against the latest closing estimate, not just the original calculation. Check whether moving costs, prepaids, utility setup, applicable service or association charges, and the first mortgage payment are already represented. Otherwise the apparent post-closing buffer...
I agree with prioritising active problems, but the insurance number could change the comfort level before repairs even enter the picture. Get a quote for this particular home and note the deductible or excess you would have to fund after a claim. That amount should not be confused with the...
I’d also push back slightly on assuming retention is always cheaper. If the rent gap keeps widening, postponing every adjustment can make the next review harder for both sides. Compare a compliant modest increase with the realistic net return from reletting: expected vacancy time, preparation...
How convincing are the comparables? Same area and townhouse type is not enough if they differ in condition, parking, size or amenities. Also, are the accumulated maintenance items needed now regardless of whether this tenant stays? Separating routine owner costs from turnover-only work will make...
Using eleven months gives C$106,194 before any expenses, so the conservative gross yield is already closer to 5.6% than 6.1%. I would focus first on confirmed property-tax and insurance figures rather than estimates; either can materially narrow the margin. Does the C$9,654 rent exclude every...
One caveat to Bianca's approach: a small increase is not automatically worthwhile. Even a brief vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and deposit handling could erase the extra income for quite a while. I also would not present necessary maintenance as something the tenant receives in exchange for...