Recent content by hearth.patient

  1. H

    Offering 10% below asking on a coastal home in Munich — sensible or too aggressive?

    I’m less convinced that 54 days alone supports a 10% reduction. Without completed comparables, the seller can just as easily point to the similar asking prices. Lead with specific updating items rather than time on market, and decide in advance what evidence would justify moving upward. I would...
  2. H

    Renovation budget for a 2,210 sq ft serviced apartment in Los Angeles

    This has helped me separate reserve size from scope quality. I’ll carry a 15% working contingency and stress-test the full plan at 20%, but first revise the worksheet into fixed items, allowances and exclusions. I’ll also ask for selective investigation of moisture, plumbing access and...
  3. H

    Renovation budget for a 2,210 sq ft serviced apartment in Los Angeles

    The preliminary budget is now $274,100, which raises a more useful question than finish choices: how much of that sum is genuinely protected against unknown work? The project is a 2,210 sq ft serviced apartment in Los Angeles, with planned updates to the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decoration...
  4. H

    First New York apartment purchase complete — lessons from the offers that failed

    The cash-after-closing point is the one beginners most easily underestimate. The purchase price feels like the finish line, but moving, small repairs and ordinary setup costs do not wait. I would also keep a simple list showing each outstanding item, who has it and when someone will follow up...
  5. H

    How should I split a $40,000 cash buffer after closing?

    Turn the inspection into three lists: work needed before or just after moving in, work likely within the first year, and cosmetic or optional items. Get estimates for the first list before committing, rather than assuming every inspection comment needs an immediate repair. Then reserve...
  6. H

    Austin detached homes: is inventory building in the $940k–$1.41m range?

    A practical way to test the idea is to build small weekly cohorts: newly listed, still active, under contract or completed, withdrawn, and price reduced. Keep neighbourhood, condition and initial price band fixed. Then ask whether April’s newer cohorts are clearing more slowly than earlier ones...
  7. H

    Renovation budget for an 810 sq ft villa in Los Angeles — thoughts?

    The small floor area did not make this budget as predictable as I expected. I have allowed $180,400 for renovating an 810 sq ft Los Angeles villa, but electrical scope, concealed plumbing and material lead times could move the figure quickly. The work covers the kitchen and bathrooms, new...
  8. H

    First-time buyer in Montreal: how much cash buffer after closing?

    A useful stress test is to total moving, the first payment, essential furniture and the urgent end of the inspection findings, then subtract that from C$37,800. Would the remainder cover a period of ordinary living costs without relying on credit? If not, the answer is probably a lower purchase...
Back
Top