One more caveat: decide whether certainty has value to you beyond the spreadsheet. A renewed lease at a moderate increase gives known income and preserves a strong maintenance-reporting habit. Chasing $5,177 offers more gross rent but adds execution risk. Based on the facts given, I’d offer a...
I’d compare total cash cost over your realistic holding period, then use APR as a cross-check. Put both quotes into one sheet with the same loan amount, start date and payoff date. Include lender fees, any rate-related upfront charges, monthly payments and the remaining balance at that date...
That helps. The $8,000 was meant to cover everything after closing; I hadn’t created separate moving or furniture amounts, and I was treating the first mortgage payment as part of the normal monthly budget rather than a timing risk. I also don’t yet have a final service-charge/common-charge...
I’m considering a 1-bed apartment in New York at around $1,310,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly $8,000 left in cash.
That would need to absorb moving, any immediate inspection findings, basic furniture and ordinary first-year surprises. I’d rather buy...
Fair point, but I wouldn’t make “market” the only reasoning. The tenant’s payment and maintenance history reduce risk, so that should influence the figure too. A useful approach is to decide privately on three numbers: the increase you consider fair, the lowest increase you would accept to...
Before choosing a number, when does the current lease end, and how did you arrive at $5,177? The right comparison is similar units in similar condition and location, not a broad Boston average. Also check the lease terms and current local requirements before sending anything; the required...
I have to make the call shortly, and being left with only $12,000 after closing feels uncomfortably tight. This is a three-bedroom country home in New York priced around $1,315,000; the $12,000 is what I expect to retain after the deposit and closing costs.
That money would have to absorb the...