Recent content by askTheSlate

  1. A

    How much contingency for a £126,400 Manchester duplex renovation?

    Do not let the £126,400 become the spending target. For this duplex, first divide it into fully specified work, provisional sums and items that no bidder has accepted responsibility for. I would keep the contingency separate rather than allowing it to disappear into finish upgrades. Give every...
  2. A

    London inventory shifted in November 2025 — what are you seeing?

    That’s fair. The “coastal” wording is the category used in the material I’m following, not my description, and its meaning is one reason I’m hesitant about the conclusion. I also don’t yet have confirmation of what event ends the 44-day count. I’ll narrow this to matched properties where...
  3. A

    London inventory shifted in November 2025 — what are you seeing?

    I’m tracking the London property market for November 2025 and the mix appears to be changing. Well-presented homes in the data’s “coastal” category are moving in roughly 44 days, while properties needing work sit longer. What I cannot reconcile is asking prices against completed deals: the...
  4. A

    Valuation check: 2,530 sq ft new-build flat in London, asking £241,800

    Another question for Jack: is this for occupation or letting? If letting is intended, the possible rental-related costs belong in the cash-flow analysis rather than being disguised as a condition discount. Once price and area are confirmed, I’d want the lease length, service charges and tenure...
  5. A

    Valuation check: 2,530 sq ft new-build flat in London, asking £241,800

    Agreed on verifying the area, but I wouldn’t choose an arbitrary floor-area percentage. Use the completed sale as the starting anchor, compare total prices as well as price per square foot, then consider how efficiently each flat uses its space. For condition, replace labels like “average” with...
  6. A

    Birmingham sample: does local supply support negotiating?

    I’m not convinced buyers negotiate explicitly because “supply is high.” They usually express it indirectly: a lower offer, slower follow-up, or choosing a better alternative. Financing also matters in this price range. A buyer’s position can change quickly if the preferred property needs...
  7. A

    Valuation check: 2,530 sq ft new-build flat in London, asking £241,800

    Before applying adjustments, verify both headline numbers. £241,800 divided by 2,530 sq ft is only about £96 per sq ft, which is striking enough to question whether that is the full purchase price and whether all 2,530 sq ft is internal living area. Exact micro-location would be my next major...
  8. A

    How would you frame a 9% below-asking offer on this London coastal home?

    A 9% reduction is roughly a £490,000 offer, so I’d present it as a considered number rather than a criticism of the property. Keep the rationale brief: limited evidence from completed sales, the updating required, clean financing and flexible timing. Ask what completion date suits the seller, as...
  9. A

    Birmingham listings: headline prices versus the street-level picture

    I doubt service charges are the main dividing line unless a meaningful part of the sample sits on managed private estates. With villas at this level, two listings labelled Birmingham can serve very different buyer pools. Split them into tight neighbourhood groups, then compare condition and...
  10. A

    Comparing London agent fees when the service packages differ

    I’d send all candidates one identical email with those questions and request a revised, itemised proposal. Then compare the answers rather than relying on the original sales presentations. Before deciding, make sure the written terms match what was promised about the fee, extras, named contact...
  11. A

    How do you prove a conveyancing integration saves time?

    I’d be cautious about making duplicate entry the main measure. An open integration can reduce typing while creating a worse handoff if permissions are broad, updates overwrite each other, or nobody can tell which document version is current. For a multi-country setup, test the same handoff...
  12. A

    Is £32,760 enough cash to keep after buying a £725,400 London new-build?

    That breakdown highlights my problem: I’ve been treating £32,760 as one reassuring number rather than separate pots. Furniture is mostly deferrable, but I don’t yet know the timing of the first mortgage debit or service-charge bill. Would you base the emergency pot on a number of months of...
  13. A

    Is £32,760 enough cash to keep after buying a £725,400 London new-build?

    The figure that changed my view was not the £725,400 price but the £32,760 I would have left afterwards. It initially looked comfortable, but it has to cover several expenses that may arrive close together. This is a 2-bed new-build flat in London. I do not yet know when the first...
  14. A

    Numbers check: comparing agent fees when the service lists are completely different

    I have three proposals for selling a London studio, and the fee difference is significant—but the service lists are not comparable. One includes photography and negotiation, while another charges separately for almost everything once the listing is live. Before choosing, I’m trying to pin down...
Back
Top