I partly disagree with the automatic pass. Negative cash flow can be rational if some of the payment is reducing principal and the buyer deliberately accepts lower current income for a scarce property. But that case has to stand without optimistic forecasts. A 1-bed villa also needs a convincing...
Start with what increase and timing are actually permitted in Quebec, not with the C$8,534 asking figure. Market rent may matter to your broader decision, but it does not automatically determine what can be charged to an existing tenant. Once you know the lawful options, compare the extra income...
Before choosing a target net yield, I’d clarify who pays heating, snow removal and grounds upkeep. On a country home, those can be meaningful or can affect tenant demand even when they are technically the tenant’s responsibility. I’d also replace estimates with actual property-tax and insurance...
What is below the main floor: basement, crawlspace or slab? That could materially change plumbing access. I’d also want to know whether the house will be occupied during construction and whether the C$383,700 includes permits, temporary protection, disposal and accommodation. Those missing...
I’m not convinced two full inspections are automatically worth it. First-time buyers can empty their emergency fund through moving, furniture and overlapping bills. One thorough handover inspection, followed by a targeted revisit only if the initial findings justify it, may be the better balance.
The aim should be to know exactly what is being commissioned before anyone proceeds. The obstacle is that a lender-led process can make those details look universal, when they mainly apply to Bianca’s financed condo and not necessarily to emil_brown’s cash purchase.
For an independent...