Renovation budget for a 590 sq ft Boston duplex listed at $785,000

lila_escrow

Construction professional
Established
Verified Pro
I’m evaluating a 590 sq ft duplex in Boston priced at $785,000 and testing a preliminary renovation budget of $329,300. The planned scope is a new kitchen and bathrooms, flooring, paint, electrical checks and moderate energy upgrades, with no structural extension.

The problem is that every quote has a different list of exclusions, so the totals are difficult to compare. I’m less concerned about finish choices than hidden conditions and sequencing—particularly plumbing access, moisture, unexpected structural work, the true electrical scope, permit timing and material lead times.

What contingency would you carry for a project like this? Also, which specific survey or contractor questions would best expose the largest unknowns before committing? I’d especially value suggestions for turning the quotes into a like-for-like scope rather than simply comparing headline prices.
 
Back
Top