Launch high or closer to the likely A$805,600 sale price?

mara.wood

First-time buyer
I’m choosing between two quite different agent valuations for a Sydney country home. One recommends launching high; the other is closer to the likely sale price of A$805,600.

The higher figure is appealing, but comparable listings that began ambitiously have been sitting for roughly 39 days before reducing. I’m concerned about losing the strongest first-week interest.

What evidence would justify the higher launch? I’m especially interested in completed sales rather than optimistic asking prices.
 
I’d start closer to the supported figure unless the higher agent can produce recent completed sales that genuinely match the home. Ask both agents for the same three lists: sold, withdrawn and still available. Ambitious listings only demonstrate what sellers want, not what buyers will pay.
 
How tightly are they drawing the neighbourhood boundaries? With a country home, two properties can look nearby on a map but differ materially in land, access, condition or buyer appeal. I’d want each agent to explain every adjustment rather than just hand over a headline valuation.
 
I wouldn’t read too much into 39 days by itself. Those sellers may have had no urgency, or their properties may have needed work. A higher opening can be reasonable if your home has something the available alternatives lack and you’re prepared to wait.
 
Also look at new-listing volume. If several similar homes are about to compete for the same buyers, launching high becomes harder to defend. If supply is thin, there may be more room to test the upper end without immediately disappearing behind newer stock.
 
Put the two proposals side by side and remove the valuation number initially. Compare the actual evidence, likely buyer group, suggested timing and what each agent proposes if interest is weak. The stronger plan may become obvious once the flattering figure is hidden.
 
I partly agree with sydney_oliver: pricing high is not automatically a mistake. The mistake is doing it without a pre-agreed response. Decide before launch what would count as weak interest and when you would reconsider, so the first reduction is deliberate rather than a reaction after 39 days.
 
Buyer financing matters too. A price that stretches beyond what the likely buyers can comfortably fund may create viewings without credible offers. Ask the agents whether their claimed buyer pool is ready to proceed or merely interested in country homes generally.
 
That financing point strengthens the case for testing the agents’ claims. Have each one describe the buyers they believe fit this property and explain why those buyers support the proposed range. No names are needed; you’re looking for a coherent link between demand and price.
 
Don’t leave withdrawn stock out of the comparison. A property that vanished after an ambitious campaign can be more informative than one still sitting online. It may show where sellers refused the market rather than where a sale was actually achievable.
 
Condition could overwhelm the other comparisons. If the completed sales were renovated but this home needs visible work, buyers may discount for both cost and inconvenience. Conversely, a well-presented home should not be priced from tired examples without an adjustment.
 
I’d now ask both agents to annotate their comparable sales: why each one is included, how it differs, and whether its result supports A$805,600 or the higher proposal. That makes it much harder to select only convenient examples.
 
One more measure: ask what happened during the opening week of each comparable campaign, if the agents know. Final price and total days matter, but early offers can reveal whether a later reduction recovered demand or merely produced a compromised result.
 
A$805,600 sounds like a valuation outcome rather than necessarily the ideal advertised figure. I’d separate “what it may sell for” from “how it should be launched.” Those are related decisions, but they do not have to use an identical number.
 
Agreed. The useful comparison is not simply high versus low. It is supported launch strategy versus unsupported optimism. Recent completed sales, narrow boundaries, condition differences, competing listings and withdrawn homes should all point in roughly the same direction before accepting the higher proposal.
 
Seller motivation is the final piece. If timing matters, protecting first-week attention probably deserves more weight. If there is no pressure to sell and the property is genuinely unusual, an upper-end launch with a firm reassessment date may be defensible. Decide that trade-off before choosing the agent.
 
Back
Top