Negotiating at S$301,500 after 39 days on market in Singapore

hana_holt

First-time buyer
I’m deciding how to respond on a Singapore property asking S$301,500. The market looks split rather than uniformly quick or slow: studios in the S$241,200–S$361,800 range seem to be sitting for about 39 days, while properties with a clear answer on building reserves move differently.

Is 39 days enough to justify negotiating firmly, or am I overlooking condition, financing or seller motivation? I’d especially value recent completed examples where the final price differed from the public asking history. Asking data is everywhere; completed numbers are much harder to pin down.
 
Thirty-nine days by itself is a weak negotiating argument. First establish whether S$301,500 is the original ask, a reduced price, or already close to what comparable units completed at. I’d also narrow the comparison to the same development or genuinely similar nearby buildings. Is S$301,500 their asking price, or the figure you plan to offer?
 
Also separate active listings from withdrawn and relisted stock. A unit can appear relatively fresh while the seller has actually tested the market for much longer. Conversely, one stale property may have an issue that says little about demand for studios generally. Have you tracked any price cuts or listing interruptions for this particular unit?
 
Condition could explain a large part of the difference too. If a cheaper completed unit needed substantial work, it is not automatically a useful target for a ready-to-occupy property. I’d compare layout, floor, condition and the building’s financial position before using its final price in your reply.
 
I wouldn’t wait for a perfect set of completed examples before responding. Those figures describe earlier negotiations, while new-listing volume and the seller’s present motivation affect what is possible now. A clean offer with a short explanation can reveal more than arguing that 39 days is objectively long. Just leave room to move if S$301,500 is still acceptable to you.
 
There’s a middle ground: send the offer, but build the reasoning from the property rather than a broad market claim. Note the closest comparable asking history, any visible cuts, condition differences and unanswered reserve questions. Then set your own ceiling privately. If the seller counters, you can judge the counter against that ceiling instead of negotiating simply because they replied.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries can distort this analysis. Two studios described under the same broad area may attract different buyers because they are in different developments or micro-locations. I’d start with completed sales in the same building, then widen outward only when there are too few, explaining every adjustment rather than treating the S$241,200–S$361,800 band as one market.
 
I partly disagree that reserve clarity should just be another adjustment. If the answer is missing, the uncertainty itself can affect both buyer confidence and financing. That may justify caution, but not an invented deduction. Ask for the missing information first; otherwise you risk choosing a discount that has no connection to the possible cost or issue.
 
A practical reply could be very simple: state your number, identify the two or three property-specific reasons behind it, and make clear that it depends on resolving the outstanding building information and your financing. Avoid leading with “39 days means you must discount.” Sellers can dismiss that, especially if withdrawn stock or relisting makes the timeline unreliable.
 
Agreed. I’d make a small comparison sheet before replying: same-development completed sales first, then nearby alternatives; original ask and cuts where visible; days listed including any apparent relisting; condition; and unresolved building points. Add current competing listings to show the seller’s alternatives. That will not produce a magic percentage, but it should tell you whether S$301,500 is supported and where your defensible opening offer sits.
 
Back
Top