The detail that changed my view was the lack of dependable completed-sale evidence, despite similar homes being advertised nearby. This country home near Lyon is listed at €671,600, has sat for 56 days and requires updating, so the asking prices do not tell me where a deal is likely to land.
I am thinking of starting 11% lower, with proof that financing is available and some flexibility over timing. I would keep the explanation brief and property-focused rather than present a padded list of faults.
My decision rule is this: if the seller will discuss the price while retaining inspection and financing protection, I can negotiate. If acceptance requires me to absorb an unknown appraisal gap or waive protection against defects, I will walk away. Is there a better way to frame the offer, and can 56 days reveal anything useful about the seller’s motivation?
I am thinking of starting 11% lower, with proof that financing is available and some flexibility over timing. I would keep the explanation brief and property-focused rather than present a padded list of faults.
My decision rule is this: if the seller will discuss the price while retaining inspection and financing protection, I can negotiate. If acceptance requires me to absorb an unknown appraisal gap or waive protection against defects, I will walk away. Is there a better way to frame the offer, and can 56 days reveal anything useful about the seller’s motivation?