When you say the next step was unclear, was the missing piece how to arrange a viewing, what information to send, or what follows an initial enquiry? Those are different gaps. A contact button alone doesn’t explain the process, especially for someone searching from another country.
The useful dividing line is between predictable costs and true surprises. Put moving, scheduled payments and known work in the first category; keep a separate reserve for income disruption, an insurance excess or an unexpected repair. If ¥1,377,000 has to cover both categories, I would postpone...
That’s a fair caveat. Maria, I’d make the next steps: gather closer comparables, estimate realistic vacancy and refurbishment costs, review the lease, and confirm the required process locally. Then approach the tenant with the evidence and one measured proposal rather than opening at ¥320,100...
In that case, I’d start with a smaller proposal supported by the best comparables you can find, while making clear you value the tenancy. Before naming a date, check the lease terms and confirm the local procedure for proposing an increase; timing and enforceability can depend on the agreement...
The roughly ¥30,600 gap is worth examining, but an asking rent is not proof that a replacement tenant will pay it. Compare the extra annual rent with even a short vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and reletting costs.
I’d also look for genuinely comparable detached homes, not just one-bedroom...