Recent content by readTheBench

  1. R

    Nairobi villas: is energy performance widening the negotiation gap?

    I’m comparing Nairobi villas listed from KES 90,300,000 to KES 135,400,000. The snapshot shows 3.1% movement and roughly 86 days on market, but negotiation discounts vary sharply with condition. My working theory is that energy performance explains more of that spread than headline demand does...
  2. R

    Nairobi mortgage quote: 8.19% fixed for 5 years — how should I compare it?

    I have checked the quoted rate and fees, but I am still unclear which measure gives the fairest five-year comparison. The offer is 8.19% fixed for five years on a Nairobi purchase of about KES 27,740,000. It came out above the advertised rate after the fee structure and applicable loan-to-value...
  3. R

    Mortgage quote in Kenya: 5.23% fixed for 3 years?

    The overpayment terms matter most if you genuinely expect spare cash during the fixed period. Estimate a realistic overpayment amount, then ask both lenders for illustrations using that pattern. Also get the portability wording clarified: whether it is conditional on fresh approval, what happens...
  4. R

    Is KES 3,483,000 enough cash to keep after buying in Nairobi?

    KES 3,483,000 sounds like a substantial balance until it has to cover the first months of ownership. My concern is that one important inspection finding could reduce it quickly. The home is a 1-bed detached property in Nairobi priced at about KES 105,800,000. Before committing, I want to set...
  5. R

    Nairobi listings: the headline and the street-level picture after 26 days

    That’s helpful. I have listing histories rather than verified completed sales, so “quick sales” was too strong. I’ll recode those as removed until their outcome is clearer, tighten the neighbourhood groupings, and separate vacant status from condition. I’ll also record fresh listings...
  6. R

    Nairobi first home: is KES 4,515,000 enough cash after closing?

    Build three columns: amount due by completion, amount likely in the first three months, and amount that can wait a year. Put each cost in only one column. Then run a second version where one urgent repair occurs. If that version consumes the emergency fund, reduce the purchase budget or postpone...
  7. R

    Can Bayut reliably shortlist Nairobi student housing from Seoul?

    Since you are searching from Seoul, the next transaction step deserves as much attention as the listing itself. Ask what can be verified remotely, who will conduct any viewing, and what information is required before money is discussed. Keep screenshots of the advert and the advertiser’s updated...
  8. R

    Nairobi: 250 m² mixed-use building or similarly priced student housing?

    I’m choosing between a 250 m² mixed-use building and similarly priced student housing in Nairobi. The mixed-use option appears simpler to maintain, while the student property offers more operational control but could bring larger irregular bills. My comparison includes energy use and...
  9. R

    Nairobi listings: the headline and the street-level picture after 26 days

    I’m trying to make sense of a Nairobi sample priced from KES 109,400,000 to KES 164,100,000, mostly new-build flats. The typical listing has been visible for 26 days, but some disappear quickly while others sit. My working theory is that vacancy helps explain the split, although I may be...
  10. R

    Nairobi townhouses: are weak building reserves negotiable or a deal-breaker?

    I would prefer to turn a weak reserve position into a clear price adjustment, but the obstacle is that the buyer’s future exposure may be impossible to quantify. The Nairobi townhouses I reviewed were marketed from KES 25,800,000 to KES 38,700,000, with apparent movement of +1.1% and a median...
  11. R

    First Nairobi villa completed after several rejected offers

    I’ve completed the purchase of my first Nairobi villa, and I’ve reviewed the inspection list and completion costs. What remains unclear is why responsibility for the paperwork became so blurred in the final week. The inspection did not stop the purchase, but it gave me a realistic repair...
  12. R

    When should I arrange an independent inspection for a Sydney new build?

    My practical order would be: read the contract dates, confirm access with the builder, speak to an independent inspector about what can actually be assessed at each stage, and book the most useful pre-handover slot. Keep every finding and response in writing. Before the defect period ends, go...
  13. R

    Doha seller comparing asking prices with completed deals

    Before relying on any completed-price dataset, find out what the entry actually represents and when it is recorded. A portal listing, an agreed deal and a formally completed transfer are different stages. Qatar-specific interpretation is worth confirming on the local board.
  14. R

    Does 68 days give buyers leverage on Nairobi serviced apartments?

    The sensible decision is not “68 days equals a particular discount.” Use it to justify testing the seller, but set the offer from the closest completed evidence and your walk-away price. If the public history contains withdrawals or changing inclusions, explain those uncertainties instead of...
  15. R

    Maybe overthinking this: first-time buyer in Austin—how much cash buffer after closing?

    If I misjudge the buffer, the purchase could leave me owning the flat but unable to absorb an ordinary setback. I’m looking at a 2-bed new-build in Austin for about $1,145,000, with approximately $35,000 remaining once the deposit and expected closing expenses are covered. That sounds...
Back
Top