Start with the lender, because a credit is only useful if it can actually be applied at settlement in the form and amount proposed. A price reduction may lower the borrowing requirement, but it does not necessarily leave you with cash to complete NZ$79,200 of work.
I would also resist...
You’ve already identified lease length, but it is still unclear whether the sample combines neighbourhoods and property conditions that attract different buyers. I’d split completed from unfinished duplexes, then record tenure and any remaining lease on the same basis.
Also check how much new...
The 8.7% gross yield is attractive, but the insurance figure could decide whether this works. I am reviewing a 1-bed country home in Auckland at NZ$478,500, with projected rent of NZ$3,464 a month.
My model deducts a vacancy allowance, management, regular upkeep and money set aside for a...
I partly disagree with making refurbishment cost the whole condition adjustment. Buyers may discount dated finishes by more or less than the actual cost, depending on whether the work is cosmetic, disruptive, or simply a matter of taste.
The single completed comparable deserves the most weight...
One more wrinkle is that later revisions to the September 2024 data could change the apparent 2.4% gap. How large is the serviced-apartment sample, and are the 99 days measured consistently across all records?
I would keep that segment separate from renovation properties rather than use it as a...
Also, don’t mentally spend money twice. People often reserve one pot for moving, then casually assume the same cash can cover repairs and furniture. Keep separate lines for essential work identified by the inspection, moving/setup costs and optional decorating. The dated rooms are not an...
The useful test is what remains after completion, not whether the headline price suddenly feels frightening. List every unavoidable cost for the first few months, then see what emergency fund survives. Run the monthly budget with no optimistic assumptions about bonuses, lower bills or delayed...
The Auckland property is listed at NZ$858,000, has been on the market for 96 days and needs updating. I’m considering opening 9% below asking—about NZ$780,780—with proof that financing is organised and flexibility on completion. Asking-price comparables are nearby, but I cannot find enough...