Recent content by AmaraLane

  1. A

    Rent increase versus retaining a reliable tenant in a Los Angeles townhouse

    The practical order seems to be: verify coverage and notice rules, test whether $7,591 is genuinely comparable, total the realistic vacancy and make-ready costs, then choose a defensible increase below the maximum you could pursue. I agree with Ana that the formalities come first, and with...
  2. A

    Rent increase versus retaining a reliable tenant in a Los Angeles townhouse

    There is a counterpoint: the gap is $1,571 per month, so leaving the rent untouched indefinitely is also a real decision. Reliability deserves consideration, but it does not require freezing the rent. Subject to the applicable rules, a smaller increase now and regular reviews later may be easier...
  3. A

    Atlanta 4-bed villa at $1.135m: does $3,866 rent leave any real return?

    Agreed on fragility, although I wouldn’t dismiss it solely from the gross yield. The missing purchase structure matters: a cash buyer and a highly leveraged buyer face very different risks. I’d run the same property under three financing-cost assumptions, then add a turnover year and one large...
  4. A

    Atlanta 4-bed villa at $1.135m: does $3,866 rent leave any real return?

    At $3,866 a month, annual gross rent is $46,392. That leaves very little room between the 4.1% gross figure and a disappointing net result. I would focus first on property tax and insurance using estimates for you as the buyer, not figures presented from the current ownership period. Financing...
  5. A

    Chicago duplex: start high or price near the likely sale?

    I’d ask both agents to build a side-by-side list of completed sales within the same neighbourhood boundaries, then explain every adjustment for condition. Also request the original list price, final asking price and time line for any reduced or withdrawn comparables. Active listings show...
  6. A

    Remote New York rental: absorb 11% management or sell?

    If management turns the property from slightly positive to roughly break-even, I wouldn’t decide from one normal month. Build an annual version that includes vacancy, tenant turnover, repairs, insurance, property tax and every manager fee. Then stress it for one expensive repair or a...
  7. A

    Seattle at $1,145,000: seasonal pause or wider pricing gap?

    Transaction volume matters as much as the discount. If very few properties completed in December 2025, one heavily reduced sale could pull the apparent gap toward 8.0%. Show the count and the individual gaps rather than only an average.
  8. A

    New York appraisal Q&A: low valuations, timing and report access

    How different would this be for a New York co-op? I assume comparing units in the same building might matter even more, but the financing and building information also seem more intertwined.
  9. A

    September 2025: are these Hong Kong duplex listings diverging or turning?

    Buyer financing could be another separator, although the details depend on the property and lender. A listing may attract interest but still struggle if buyers cannot make the numbers work. Asking agents whether deals reached an offer or financing stage might clarify why particular homes...
  10. A

    Raise the rent or retain a reliable tenant in a New York studio?

    I’d go further than smartinez and question whether an increase is needed at all this cycle. Payment reliability and good maintenance have real value, while the $8,957 figure only shows what other landlords are requesting. If the current rent already covers the owner’s needs, retaining stability...
  11. A

    Phoenix listings: what explains the gap after 33 days?

    How are you counting those 33 days? If it means time since the current listing appeared, withdrawals and relistings could make older stock look new. Also, are your completed sales from homes listed during the same period, or are you comparing today’s active listings with deals negotiated under...
  12. A

    NY studios: are monthly charges distorting the market picture?

    One clarification: I’m not treating 21 days as proof that a listing is fresh or fairly priced. I’m trying to work out what evidence would actually change an offer—especially the timing of any price cuts and whether apparently comparable studios have materially different monthly charges.
  13. A

    NY studios: are monthly charges distorting the market picture?

    I’m comparing New York studios listed from $744,000 to $1,116,000. The snapshot I have shows 0.2% movement and roughly 21 days on market, but negotiated discounts seem to vary much more with condition. My decision is whether to pay more for a finished unit with lower service charges or pursue a...
Back
Top